Tuesday, September 9, 2008

bottle of beast

whenever I get nostalgic for high school, which is rare, and even rarer that it's a pleasant memory, I always think of snow days. early dismissals because of snow, to be more specific. I was miserable during high school, not specifically because of school, but mainly because of my own problems.

but I think I will always remember how snow looked as it fell on pennsylvania avenue as I looked out the window of the chemistry lab, watching the white, wet snow collect on the parking lot of the shitty strip mall across the street. how wet the front lobby was, how muddy and messy, from everyone's shoes dragging slushy snow in and out while waiting for car rides home. wiping snow off of our cars, my cheeks and hands red and burning from the cold, because i never brought gloves or hats to school. and how much fun it was to be old enough to drive home with friends, carefully, through the snow at 11 a.m., ready to spend an afternoon doing absolutely nothing. when I miss high school, I almost always think about snow days. I don't know why.

damn you, chris carabba, for playing randomly on the way home from the bar.

No comments: